On July 5, 2007 I was invited to serve with the Peace Corps in Panama as a Community Economic Development volunteer. I left my home in Portland, Oregon, on August 12 and I will be in Panama for 27 months- returning home in October, 2009. Crazy, right?
You'll actually look forward to your morning commute. Life is calling. How far will you go? Learn more about the Peace Corps

16 September 2007

Site Placement!

Hanging out at the Ranchero

Yesterday most of us (in CED) bused to Santiago, the capitol of the province of Veraguas (4 hours from Panama city), where we´ll be staying in a hotel for the next week during technical training. I´m pretty stoked, since Veraguas is going to be my province for the next two years, so it´s a great opportunity to get to know the capitol. My site, which was announced last Wednesday, is a town of 5,000 people close to Santiago and my job will be to work with two local youth co-ops, helping them to organize their members and, hopefully, become profitable. I´ll have electricity and running water, though I don´t know if that means indoor plumbing or latrines and outdoor showers. Either is fine with me, latrines aren´t nearly as bad as I thought they would be and outdoor showers are really refreshing. There is something about staring up at the stars when you take a shower that is very peaceful.



I´m glad to be out of our training town for a little while, but I think I´m going to miss the kids in my house. Speaking of the kids, Gabriel is on the left. He´s 10 and has the greatest smile. I need to get a better picture of him.. I just love him! Iran is 12 and is great but also nearing the teen years so he can be a little sullen sometimes. And Irania (7), on Iran´s shoulders, is really sweet. I couldn´t have asked for better host siblings. I wish you could all meet them.





The bird pictured in the last post is pretty little, maybe the size of a cockatiel, but this one is a fullsized parot. He´s only 10 months old and he´s got a lot of attitude, but he´s cool. He lives in the backyard of my grandma´s house next door.






The other day, at our regular training schedule at the ranchero (which is oustide under a thatched roof) these monkeys came to eat some rice. They´re pretty small, maybe the size of a small cat, and really ugly. The picture isn´t very good, but you get the idea. They were about 10 feet from us, chattering and eating. Their faces are kind of a cross between a bulldog and a bat.




I got emails about the need for more photos so I´m trying to oblige. Unfortunately I don´t whip out my camera nearly enough. Here´s a picture of some of my group last night, though. That´s Joanna (her, Logan, and I are sharing a room), Lydia, Me, Michael, and Coco. We kind of feel like we´re on vacation. We´re staying in a hotel with air-conditioning, cable television (in English!), great food, and a swimming pool! So last night was a bit of a party. It felt so good. We´re kept pretty busy in training and we really really needed a break.


After this week we´re headed to Cera Punta in the Chiriqui province in the mountains. It will be awesome because it´s colder up there. This heat and humidity is a killer, though we are definitely adapting. We´ll be in Cera Punta for a couple of days for a sector conference and then we go to our respective provinces for culture training for a week. So I´ll be returning to Veraguas and then heading to a small village in the south that, I believe, is pretty close to the beach. Surprisingly, given how much beach Panama has, I have not yet been to the coast. I am really looking forward to it. I´ll be sure to take some more pictures!

No comments: